The site of the world exhibition of 1889 with its 96 hectares was 20 hectares larger than the one in 1876. Several areas were added to the traditional terraine of the Paris world exhibitions, the “Champs de Mars”. On the other bank of the Seine, opposite the “Champs de Mars”, was the “Trocadéro”, the vast show palace from the last exhibition , whose terraced gardens led down to the river. This was where the large assemblies and 69 congresses, for a total of 20,000 people, took place and here, too, the horticultural show was held.
Along the river banks, in long galleries on the Quai d’Orsay, farming and agricultural products were exhibited. Here, the architect of the Paris Opera House, Charles Garnier, put on show a history of human dwellings, from pre-historic huts to Parisian houses of the 16th Century. Finally, on the Esplanade des Invalides, the French colonies displayed their raw materials and products and, in exotic shows, brought the life-styles of other continents to the people of Paris.
To get over the problem of the large distances between the Esplanade des Invalides and the Champ de Mars there was the hydraulic railway built by the engineer Girard. The train glided on a thin film of water over iron plates and was set in motion by a propeller system, also powered by water. Although it was very popular with the public and talked about as “the most wonderful invention of modern times”, the system was never generally adopted. On the Champs de Mars itself, upholstered wheelchairs, pushed by attendants, were at the disposal of the exhausted visitors.
|Year: 1889||City: Paris||Country: France|
|Duration: 6th May - 31st October 1889|